Here we are at the "base under the tree"(I can never remember the Swahili name). The bases are really just open areas where homeless teen 'gangs' gather and sleep. The sad part about this visit is that there were at least two boys here that had been part of the MITS program at the Farm, but they had run away. Once you run away from the Farm, you can't re-enter. The typical reason they run away is that they want to return to the freedom they have on the streets and the drugs they have access to (usually sniffing glue and bang or marijuana). Lucas and Derek are posing for a picture with some of the members of this base. After we introduced ourselves, Lucas shared an encouraging word...and did a great job. Sharing the hope and love of Jesus with those that need it the most is always a powerful thing to witness.
Lilyput Base
Here are two guys that are not doing very well. They saw us pass by and wanted to join us, but they could barely walk over to where we meeting.
This is Liliput Base where we connected with a number of people last year. Francis, one of the MITS workers, who came through the program and walked us around last year used to be at this base. It is one of the friendlier bases, but also one with a lot of drug use. Here are two young men who I prayed for. They want to change their lives but there are so many things that stand against them. Though they were extremely dirty and some were high, they were very welcoming and nice to us.
High Rise Base
High Rise Base was full of people. Some were laying down and when we arrived they were shaken awake by their friends. We did walk by someone who was laying facedown in the grass with flies all over him. He wasn't moving and we were just hoping he was alive. At High Rise last week one of them was killed when they had a run in with the police. This is a picture of a relatively new 'boss'. Usually the biggest and strongest is the boss. He directs the base and makes decisions for them. During this visit it was good to see the MITS staff describe their work and reassure him that they had been doing this for the past 15 years. It was good to build relationship with him so that he could encourage the younger members to participate in the programs.
This is Elijah, the base boss at Liliput. We met him last year and he recognized Erika and me. He is a really nice guy and supposedly is very helpful to MITS.
Made in the Streets (MITS) has to have one of the most challenging ministries I know of. They love on these kids and minister to them on a regular basis. They help them, support them, and see what their lives could be with Jesus. But the lure of the streets, the freedom they have there, the horrible peer influence, and the rampant drug use make the environment very difficult. For all of the success stories there are numerous individuals that have made changes only to fall back into their destructive lives.
The streets are a hard place to be. They are run by the strong and the girls and young ones have to fight to survive. We met some girls who were born on the bases. Up until this year I had never put together the fact that I had seen little ones on the bases and the possibility that they may never leave. These were girls the same age as my daughter Sydney. I couldn't imagine in my worst nightmare my little girl living and growing up in such a place. When we asked why they were still on the streets we were told that some of the moms won't let them leave because the little ones and the girls can earn them more money. It was honestly one of the saddest things I have ever heard.
You know...I think about these people a lot. They represent for me the segment of God's creation that have been lost, thrown out, and forgotten. When Jesus said that he came not for the healthy, but for the sick...a lot of the time I think about the bases at Eastleigh. And honestly when you see the youth at the Farm (the residential facility they are moved to) and see the transformation that takes place, you are truly able to say that God still performs miracles today. I think these are some of the people Jesus would have been eating with, which the religious and self righteous people chastised him for. The world is not the way it is supposed to be. Too many people are far from God and too many of God's people are far from the people He wants them to be with. I am thankful we were able to spend it with the people God wanted us to be with today. I pray that is true for you to.
Thanks, Trenton, for sharing your pictures and the thoughts from your heart.
ReplyDeleteAmazing pictures of the bases. Reminds me I took some last year but never got copies to them. All the pictures send memories flooding back. For better or worse I don't want to forget what I saw there. Thanks
ReplyDeleteBob