Thursday, August 4, 2011

Treasures

The big, bumpy drive out to Kangundo, a perfect representation of the “African Massage,” was well worth the trip. Heavenly Treasures is in Kangundo, and they minster specifically to AIDS orphans in the area. When we arrived, we were served the best lunch ever and right after the team was put to work on the rabbit cages that we purchased for Heavenly Treasures. It was so goofy, building these rabbit cages given the tools we had, yet it also very rewarding. First we had to dig holes in the ground with a heavy pole and scoop out the dirt with our hands. Then we put big wooden poles into the ground and mixed cement with dirt and rocks and water and poured them into the holes. After that we sawed wooden boards to nail to the poles and our rabbit cage was complete!



The next day we could finally work with the kids and do some crafts. I got to see my friend Valerie from last year again, and it made me so happy! She wants to be a pilot when she grows up, and she was saved when she was 13. She’s such a beautiful daughter of Christ and as we were talking, she shared her testimony and the gospel, encouraging me in my faith more than I did her, I think! She said she missed me and it just warmed my heart. I praise God that she has made it so far and still is so happy with her situation in life, despite the face that she doesn’t have parents. She places her trust in God completely and loves Him with her whole heart. Her grandmother works at Heavenly Treasures and ended up giving me a sisal bag that she made for free.



When we had free time we had the chance to walk around the area and the countryside was absolutely beautiful. The children from around the area followed along with us, but it was hard to communicate with them because they speak their native tongue rather than Swahili.



When we left Kangundo, we got to drop by Mcedo School and the Farm to give promise packs to the kids since we had extra. At Mcedo I was drawn to three children who weren’t part of the school. One boy was so adorable, but he wouldn’t tell me his name until we were about to leave. It was something like Lylel? He kept repeating it for me but it wasn’t a name I recognized.




I hope that all those children who aren’t in school will be able to go to Mcedo someday and learn about Christ while getting a proper education. Each life and soul is treasured by God, and even if I never see some faces again, I know that we will all be reunited in heaven with our Maker.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristine!
    Thanks for your posts. It's great hearing about what the team is doing and how God is working in Kenya through you and the team. Sounds like it's been very busy but with many blessing going both ways.

    Keep up the great work!
    Marguerite (Kaili's mom)

    ReplyDelete