Saturday, July 30, 2011

A name, A face, A smile, A laugh

I’m a little behind on my blogging, and I still haven’t blogged about Mcedo school and Comedo school but I really feel the need to blog about something different today.

A couple of us on the team have been dealing with some spiritual warfare on this trip. The whole team definitely sees it in all the struggles that we have gone through and just the fact that literally nothing we’ve planned has gone according to our plans.. for the most part at least. At Comedo school we only got to stay for about 2 hours maximum and we didn’t get to do anything with the kids. I was pretty upset about that and I was really just thinking that so far during this trip, I feel like we haven’t done “enough” ministry. All we’ve been doing is playing with and taking pictures of the little kids, which I really enjoy, I just didn’t feel like we were actually making an impact. But then today during our first session of debriefing (we ended up having two), Mike made the comment that us just loving the kids and smiling at them and making them feel special can make a HUGE impact that we may never get to see, but it doesn’t mean that it won’t happen. If we show God’s love, then these kids will be given hope and joy that could spark something and you never know how big of a fire that little spark could start.

Anyways, about the spiritual warfare.. specifically for me I’ve been having pretty graphic and demonic images mostly in the last day. Also, two nights ago I was having a dream and it felt like something scratched the side of my head and I knew it was a dream but when I felt it in my dream it felt wet like it was bleeding. I still thought that “no, this is just a dream” but then it felt like the blood was dripping down my face, so I woke up and felt it and there was nothing there but when I looked at the door I felt like there was a tall dark figure standing there. So I prayed and eventually fell asleep. One of the weirdest things to me is that two other people experienced the same presence the same night. So tonight night me and Sydney went to talk to Trenton and Erika about it because it made us feel really uneasy. The talk really helped and just gave me strength and confidence in God. I know that I don’t have to be afraid of anything and the only reason that these things are happening to us is because we are doing something great for the kingdom of God which is incredibly encouraging. Maybe our relationships are making a difference, or will in the future (: Anyways, we brought the rest of the team in and basically had another debrief session. We talked about a lot of things, but during this debrief I got emotional for the first time. I was thinking about how people always jokingly say “don’t throw that food away, there’s starving kids in Africa” and they don’t (and honestly never will) understand the truth of those words until they’ve actually seen it for themselves. When you put a name and a face and a smile and a laugh to the phrase “kids in Africa” you could never say anything like that in a joking way.


There was this specific boy that I noticed in Kwa-Njenga that came into the Comido school while we were there. He wasn’t even a student, he was just sitting off to the side with a group of “wanna be” students, but for some reason his face stood out to me. I think it was just the fact that his face looked so gentle and so.. I don’t even know how to explain it. I smiled to him though and he turned around to see who it was behind him that I might be smiling at. When he turned back around I smile and pointed at him, he smiled a little. It really amazes me how much the kids appreciate and love it when you acknowledge them. Which makes me sad though, because its as if no one else smiles at them. But anyways, after all the school kids left and went home, a lot of the non-school kids stuck around so I went up to him and started talking to him but I couldn’t understand what his name was and it was hard for me to talk to him with the whole language barrier. That was a little bit frustrating but even though his face remained to be pretty emotionless for the most part, it seemed like I was able to make a little connection because he stuck around the school and waited for us while we were getting a tour of the school. I was really happy to see him still there as we were exiting the school, but it was also really difficult to walk away from all the kids as we were leaving.

Today during our debrief his face came up in my mind and it made me really upset to think that he’s still at Kwa-Njenga sleeping in a little metal hut. And I remember him having this “toy” that he played with, but all it was was a little metal circle that he pushed around with a metal rod. I don’t even really know how to explain how I feel right now.. kind of frustrated I suppose. I just picture his face while him and some other kids were standing there watching us leave. I want to go back



Some kids at Kwa-Njenga dancing with Lucas and Trisha
Two little boys in Kwa-Njenga with the cutest smiles
The view of the slum from the roof of one of the school buildings
Sydney trying roasted maize from Kwa-Njenga

Oh and I took my Airborn just for you Aunty Marlene.. ehe (:

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kaili,

    It's great reading about your experiences in Kenya. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to read...scary, and overwhelmingly sad. But it definitely seems like your heart is in the right place, and it's great that you're putting all of your trust in the Lord. He will certainly guide and protect you and your group, just keep praying! You're very brave for being there, and doing what you're doing. I'm really proud of you. I'll be sure to be praying for you and the group. I love you!

    <3 Marky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaili, thank you for sharing your personal struggles on this mission trip. God has given you amazing leaders, Trenton and Erika, plus the rest of your wonderful team. Through all the challenges, God is with you, and is all powerful. He is doing great things through you all!

    Love,
    Auntie Marlene
    p.s. thank you for taking the airborne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the sights and thoughts you've been experiencing seem so unreal. I know that you do make a difference being there and I'm glad Mike H. was able to share those thoughts about what it can mean to someone, even if just to be noticed and smiled at.

    All the bad, the scary, tears and sadness you undergo there - are they not all blessings in disguise? Perhaps these are all investments in God's plan for u.

    Brendon told me, he'll never forget seeing what joy and happiness was displayed by the children and youth who'd come to know Jesus. Yet we see them with nothing that seems like a home, real food, or worthy possessions.

    I'm so looking forward to hearing you and Sydney tell me what this experience has meant for u. Us parents will probably have a thing or 2 to learn when you come back - yes? -G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kai Kai,
    I miss you so much sweetie, I'm sorry to hear that you have come to Satan's attention and he has now considered you as a threat to his deception plan. I will keep praying for you and the rest of the team, remember that God has already won but there will still be battles that need to be fought and you are now in the middle of it, you are now part of God's army and that is something to rejoice about. I have always wondered how you would react when you finally see and experience first hand how difficult it is for other people especially children. Just do what you're doing of spreading and sharing you're heart to them.

    I love you and misses you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kai Kai,

    Thank you for being there in Kenya with Sydney and the rest of the team. It must be really scary the things you are experiencing but I'm glad you are there with Trenton and Erika to help you through it. It's good that you and Syd are talking to each other about this and the rest of the team so you can come together united in God's love, strength and His power. His plans for you all may be different than you had expected but it's good that you all are staying focused on what God has planned and being open to what changes He has for this trip and the Kenya people.
    Be strong in the Lord. He is right by your side. I wish we could be there with you too but remember we are there in spirit.

    We love you and miss you!
    Your mommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its hard to understand what you share and part of me wishes to be there to see it. Thanks for sharing what has been going on and I'm so encouraged by you, Sydney, and Lucas. Its really awesome how God is working in you guys and yet how angry and frustrated satan (I agree with Lucas, he doesn't get caps) because you are doing God's will and work.

    When the opposition comes towards us, we should always pray and BELIEVE that God will save us. Because Christ died for us, so why wouldn't he come save us when we are being attacked spiritually. Know that God is great and fear him above all else. If you fear God, then what can you really be afraid of?

    Keep up the work and lean on God. He is there for you, he is the one that won the battle already, and you are making a difference. Because God placed you and the team there for a purpose. Place that in your heart and know that you are moving because our God is moving through you and your team :D

    -Big Bro BJ

    PS - Share this with Sydney and Lucas and the rest of the team :D I'm tired, but I really wanted to read and write to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, China is super strict and blocked blogspot.. so I couldn't read any of your guys' updates until now..and shoot that was quite a handful of catching up :P

    But reading all these posts have been super intense and at the same time encouraging.
    Like you said.. your team member Mike shared about..just loving on the people you encounter can make a big difference..letting the love of God inside of you overflow onto these kids and people of Kenya is a lot. While in China..I could barely communicate with the kids because my Chinese is pretty poor..and I had the same initial thought as you..such as..'I'm not doing enough..I can't even share the gospel in the language they understand..' etc. but at the end of the two weeks..I really saw that even just loving/playing with the kids makes a difference. God works in different ways in different people and reveals Himself to people through many unexpected ways..but continue to look upward towards Him because what you're doing out there is making a difference! I'm thankful for all the transparency about your guys' experiences on the mission trip ..sounds like it's been a growing experience so far!

    I'll definitely continue to keep you all in my prayers- as God continues to challenge and stretch and use you guys in ways you might never expect.

    Remember that the mind of God is behind all things happening. Not even the smallest detail of life happens unless God’s will is behind it. And when you know and believe that, you can rest in perfect confidence in Him.

    Miss you Washingtonians!

    one love,
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kaili,
    Thank you for posting your experience and the photos of all of the adorable kids. Remember that God is the Almighty and will protect His children so you are in good hands! We will continue to pray for you and the entire team.
    Thanks to all of you for sharing God's word and His love.

    We look forward to seeing you when you return and will continue to keep all of you in our prayers.

    Lots of Love,
    Auntie Kath and Uncle Craig

    ReplyDelete